SPICED PUMPKIN SOUP
1 large pumpkin
2 Tbsp butter
2 large onions
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp grated ginger
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground coriander
6 cups chicken stock
1 tsp nutmeg
Handful sage leaves
You can take the skin off the raw pumpkin with a knife, but that is too much hard work for me! I simply cut the pumpkin into large pieces, and cook them in a pot for about 15 minutes. Then, I drain the water off and let the pumpkin cool down, before taking the skin off effortlessly.
1. Melt butter in a frying pan and sauté onions, garlic and ginger.
2. Add spices and cook, stirring, for about a minute.
3. Transfer mixture into your biggest pot, or a preserving pan. Add pumpkin and chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes. Add nutmeg, and season with salt and pepper to taste (you may not need salt depending on which chicken stock you use, so taste first!).
4. Using a stick mixer, blend soup until pureed. At this point, you can add more chicken stock if you prefer a thinner soup.
5. Stir in a little cream before serving, and garnish with some sage leaves and crushed walnuts.
Enjoy!! This is seriously the best soup ever.